Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Background on the Project

I finally found a place to post progress on the house so friends can follow along. Thanks to Jeffrey Swainhart, who connected me with this resource! Jeffrey is a licensed General Contractor who came in a couple months ago as a consultant to help me with my general contract duties. I just wish I had met him six months ago to manage the entire project from the beginning!

A little background: I moved back to Minneapolis in 2005, having lived elsewhere (including ten years overseas) for 23 years. (I mention the ten years overseas because Europe is decades ahead of the U.S. on green, sustainable, environmentally-friendly design.) My mom had been in ill health, and I moved back to help her out. I wasn't sure I would stay in Minneapolis, but after a year or so, I decided that Minneapolis was home after all, even after all those years away. I looked around for a house to buy that would accommodate both my mom and myself (i.e., two separate living spaces under one roof), but couldn't find anything I liked. I got the bright idea to buy a lot and start from scratch. As I started thinking about the design I wanted, it was a natural progression to decide to go green. I've been very environmentally conscious my entire life, and am concerned about global warming and sustainability.

I heard about a new store in Minneapolis, called Natural Built Home, which was the first store in the area to sell green building materials. I went to their website, and saw that a Building Biologist, Oram Miller, was giving a seminar on green building a couple days later. I attended the lecture, and it opened up a whole new world for me. The only thing I knew about building green was that I wanted solar. I knew that meant solar panels on the roof, but that was about all I knew. I hadn't realized there were many, many other ways to support sustainability, nor did I know about all the green building materials that are available. More on those as we go along.

Oram recommended a couple green architects, and I interviewed them and one other I had found on my own. I ended up working with Richard, who specializes in green design. I had a pretty good idea of the floor plan I wanted, and that hasn't changed at all. Richard has had some great ideas on how to design the south roof, which will accommodate the solar panels and a living roof. He has also incorporated many passive features to assist with both heating and cooling the house, and providing a maximum of natural light.

Here is a synopsis of where I am today:

Estimated start date: July 2008

Description of Project: A single family home, one story, with a half-finished basement. First floor is 1200 square feet with living room, dining room, kitchen, bath, and two bedrooms. First floor handicapped accessible from the rear entrance. Basement living area is one bedroom, bath, and family room with kitchenette. Unfinished rear area of basement includes a large mechanical room (for solar apparatus and water tanks), laundry room, storage room, and “cold” room (i.e. root cellar). Rear of house will eventually contain a screened porch, a pergola, and a detached garage.

Green Features Planned:
  • Envelope of house will be Faswall (insulated blocks made from 85% recycled wood chips and 15% Portland cement); walls “breathe”, won’t mold, and require no vapor barrier above ground (either inside or out); are highly insulating and sound resistant

  • Radiant in-floor heating powered by nine 4’ by 8’ solar panels

  • Passive solar design features (lets sunlight in during winter; blocks during summer)

  • Energy-efficient triple glazed windows

  • Interior walls built with MgO board; outer walls plastered with clay (no sheetrock in the house) Stair tower skylight which lets in light and acts as a whole house ventilation system

  • Use of FSC wood and re-used wood only

  • Countertops made of recycled glass and bamboo

  • Metal roof on north side; solar panels, PV panels, and living roof on south side

  • Living roof over porch

  • Front landing and pergola timbers made from 80% post-consumer recycled plastic

  • Sidewalks and walkways made of permeable or used pavers

  • All flooring will be reused hardwood or new bamboo (renewable wood)

  • Tiles for bath floor and shower stall made from recycled glass and porcelain

  • Windows for porch and indoor lighting bought used from ReUse Center

  • Landscaping will maximize fruit and vegetable growing for self-sustainability; grass will be kept at a minimum and native plants and flowers will be maximized

  • Rain barrels will catch and store water for garden use

  • Eventual driveway replacement will use permeable driveway pavers

  • Garage will be small, metal, and one-car

  • All appliances will be efficient EnergyStar; water appliances will be water-efficient

  • House will be wired for PV panels, some of which will be added later due to cost

  • During construction, recycling bins will be kept to recycle wood, cardboard, cement, and any other building material excess

  • Ceiling fans in all rooms to minimize air conditioning needs

  • Home is two blocks from bus stop and a 10 minute bus ride from work




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great, Barb!
Thanks for putting up this blog and forwarding me the link. I'm eager to follow your building progress.
I've gone back and forth on some of the same building and design materials. Please explain why you decided on seamed metal roofing instead of recycled metal roofing, and why a partial green roof instead of all metal for more water collection. Had you looked into an underground cistern system, or prefer the ease of rain barrels? Are you getting any grants from your watershed district for smart water design (permeable pavers, rain barrels, green roof, etc.)? Are you able to take advantages of State renewable rebates for your solar panel installation? How soon will construction begin and are you doing the work or using professionals?

Thanks again!
Gene