Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Slow June

June was a slow month. I was severely injured when I was in the basement nailing foam insulation to the basement ceiling and my wooden stepladder collapsed under me. I fell backwards, bouncing off the wall, and landed on the cement floor with my hands behind me, instinctively trying to break the fall. My left wrist and lower arm were literally shattered. The surgeon used bone cement to glue the fragments back together, as well as inserting a long plate holding the bigger pieces together with a dozen screws. There are also three pins which hopefully will be removed soon. The cast presses on them and it hurts when I move my arm too much. I'll permanently lose some mobility in the wrist, but hopefully will get back most of the use of my fingers. I still feel very lucky. It could have been so much worse.
Some pictures: my brother Cliff removed the driveway running through the back yard, and this picture was taken after I had started filling in the hole. I was just starting to get the hang of the Bobcat before the accident.
Here's the asphalt waiting to be picked up to be recycled. You can see the work Cliff did backfilling around the front window wells.
Here are the solar heat storage and heat transfer tanks.
Finally the sheet rock has been started! This is standing in the living room, looking towards the rear. The kitchen is on the right, the master bedroom windows on the right.
This is a view from the kitchen to the living room on the right. The office/guest bedroom is on the left, behind the dining room.
The front before backfilling. See the second picture above and current view to see the backfill.
The north window wells being installed.
The north window wells installed. I did the backfill myself with the bobcat.
The pots contain all the plants I ordered, mostly fruit plants. We are WAY behind on the landscaping.
More plants. Many I planted from seed. and they are still sitting there, waiting to be planted. The garden behind the pots is my neighbors'.
This is the wooden stepladder. If you have one, get rid of it. They are not safe! When I tell people how I was injured, everyone has their own horror story about stepladders, many worse than mine.

No comments: